No arrests following arson attack at CT train station

A R100,000 reward has been offered for any information which could help investigators.

Metrorail train carriages on fire at the Cape Town Station on 9 April 2016. Picture: Twitter: @CapeTalk

CAPE TOWN - No arrests have been made following an arson attack on two Metrorail trains at Cape Town station.

Millions of rand in damage was caused when 10 carriages and other infrastructure were destroyed in Saturday's fire.

The rail operator's regional manager, Richard Walker, says, "It was a very orchestrated and planned attack. If you look at the time from which the fire basically started and how quickly it spread, you can see it was accelerated and assisted."

A R100,000 reward has been offered for any information which could help investigators.

VANDALISM, ARSON PLAGUE METRORAIL

Earlier this year, Metrorail said it had lost more than 20 train coaches to arson since last year.

An investigation was instituted to determine the cause of a deadly fire which destroyed two train carriages near Fish Hoek, where officials discovered a body inside one of the burnt out carriages.

At the time Metrorail's Riana Scott said they'd been hard hit by vandals.