Straight outta Parly… Must-read Zuma impeachment debate quotes
EWN takes a look at the must-read quotes from President Jacob Zuma’s fiery #impeachment debate.
JOHANNESBURG - Eyewitness News takes a look at some of the most memorable quotes during President Jacob Zuma's failed impeachment debate in Parliament today.
"Stop voting on things. Listen to superior logic. Bloody voting cattle!"
- EFF leader Julius Malema to African National Congress (ANC) Members of Parliament.
"Allowing the house to vote on your recusal is exactly why you should recuse yourself. You can't vote things right … Madam Speaker, set the example."
- Freedom Front Plus leader Pieter Mulder to National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete.
"I think we have wasted a lot of time this afternoon on this matter."
- National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete on the request for her to recuse herself.
"Today is an historic day. It will be recorded that ANC members chose to defend a crooked, broken president instead of the Constitution and the rule of law. Today will signal once and for all that the ANC has lost its way and there is no way back."
- DA leader Mmusi Maimane.
"The President and this House never acted in bad faith. The President acted in good faith and in the justified belief that he was able to do so in terms of the constitution."
- Deputy Justice Minister John Jeffreys.
"Stop thinking through your stomachs. Use your brain to think!"
- Malema again to ANC MPs.
"Stop screaming at each other! Be orderly. If you do this again, I will ask you to withdraw."
- Deputy National Assembly Speaker Lechesa Tsenoli.
"Saying 'no' to this motion will be morally unconscionable … Do the right thing. If you choose not to, then cry the beloved country."
- IFP member Narend Singh.
"Hambani masala, ndini!" [You go, thieves!]
- United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa to ANC MPs.
ANC MP to DA member James Selfe: "Can Selfe take a selfie there?"
ANC MP: "A selfie..."
Tsenoli: "No, no, no. That's out of order."
"We have witnessed democracy in action. We have experienced the marvels of the separation of powers which the Constitution creates."
- ANC member Pule Mabe on last week's Constitutional Court ruling.
"The results are as follows: Yes: 143. No: 233. No abstentions."
- Deputy National Assembly Lechesa Tsenoli announcing the results of this afternoon's impeachment vote.
"We want to put on record that you voted against the Constitution here. You voted against the people of South Africa. We are not going to be part of this mess of a useless Parliament that votes for wrong things."
- Malema again, shortly before the mass opposition walkout.
"You have raped the Constitution!" "Traitors!" "Sell-outs!"
- Yells from opposition MPs as they left the Chamber.