Opposition disappointed by Zuma's Nkandla apology
The EFF says opposition parties will still hold the ANC to account and will monitor the ruling party closely.
JOHANNESBURG - Opposition parties have reacted with disappointment to President Jacob Zuma's announcement.
Earlier on Friday night Zuma announced that he welcomed the judgment of the Constitutional Court which ruled that the Public Protector's remedial action on the Nkandla matter was binding, adding that he never set out to violate the Constitution.
EFF leader Julius Malema says opposition parties will still hold the ANC to account and will monitor the ruling party closely.
"We have given them a long rope to hang themselves and we are monitoring every step they take. We know what they are doing next and as a result we will attend to them."
WATCH: Zuma: I never set out to violate the Constitution.
DA leader Mmusi Maimane says it was a completely empty statement from a broken president.
"It's an embarrassment to listen to a president justify actions that are illegal and seek to justify the facts in a manner that he has today. It's deeply disappointing and now it has become clear Jacob Zuma has no understanding of the Constitution. All of us as South Africans must hold him to account."
Meanwhile, constitutional law expert Richard Calland says while Zuma's address tonight was a big moment, his apology was a mere formality.
"He was required to apologise, this was not him doing so willingly. Politically the tide is turning against him and effectively the Constitutional Court asked him to do so."
Political analyst Somadoda Fikeni says the ANC has avoided recalling Zuma to avoid appearing to bow down to pressure from opposition parties.
"In essence, that is the response to say if we create a president and follow what the opposition is demanding, then we will be under attack and might lead to us being diminished."
To read Zuma's speech on the ConCourt judgment on Nkandla, click here.