City of JHB adamant Pikitup boss is here to stay
They city’s Matshidiso Mfikoe says they see no need to dismiss MD Amanda Nair.
JOHANNESBURG - City of Johannesburg officials say Pikitup Managing Director Amanda Nair is not going anywhere until an investigation proves that corruption allegations made against her by striking employees are true.
Workers affiliated to the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) have refused to go back to work, demanding that wage disparities be resolved and that Nair be dismissed. LISTEN: Update Pikitup strike.
LISTEN: Update Pikitup strike.
The strike, which has been going on for almost a month now, has forced the city to employ private contractors at R1 million a day to remove refuse.
About 4,000 striking employees, who have ignored two court interdicts and three notices of dismissal for failing to return to work, are now undergoing a disciplinary hearing scheduled to conclude on Thursday.
The unprotected strike is the fourth since November last year.
But MMC for Environment and Infrastructure Services, Matshidiso Mfikoe, says they see no need to dismiss Nair.
Last year, she was cleared by the high court of any wrongdoing relating to the same matter.
CITY INTENSIFIES CONTINGENCY PIKITUP PLANS
Johannesburg Mayor Parks Tau says striking Pikitup workers won't be allowed to intimidate those collecting refuse.
He says security contingency plans for non-striking workers and contractors have been intensified.
Tau says the Johannesburg Metro Police Department has stepped in.
"Contingencies have been intensified as a matter of urgency. The city manager, in terms of the Police Act, has issued an instruction to the JMPD to provide the same protection to workers and suppliers part of the contingency plan." WATCH: Parks Tau won't tolerate messy Pikitup protest.
WATCH: Parks Tau won't tolerate messy Pikitup protest.