UPDATE: Suspect in #BrusselsAttacks ‘misidentified’

Media reports earlier said a key suspect from yesterday's attack on Brussels airport was arrested.

Belgian police officers and rescue workers gather on the Wetstraat (Rue de la Loi) which was evacuated after an explosion at the Maalbeek subway station in Brussels on 22 March, 2016. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - Belgian media, which earlier reported the arrest of a prime suspect in the deadly Brussels bombings, now says the person detained is not, in fact, Najim Laachraoui.

DH, which first reported the story, says the man detained in the Anderlecht district has been 'misidentified'.

Two explosions at the airport and one at Maelbeek station yesterday left 34 dead and over 200 injured.

Police were hunting Laachraoui after he was seen with the suspected suicide bombers at Brussels airport.

Police identified Khalid and Ibrahim al-Bakraoui as the two suicide bombers.

Police and prosecutors have been declining all comment but will hold a press conference this afternoon.

A picture released on 22 March, 2016 by the belgian federal police on demand of the Federal prosecutor shows a screengrab of the airport CCTV camera showing suspects of this morning's attacks at Brussels Airport, in Zaventem. Picture: AFP.

Yesterday, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.

Explosions tore through the departure hall of the airport yesterday morning, the Belgian news agency Belga said.

Minutes later another explosion rocked Brussels, at the Maelbeek Metro Station close to European Union (EU) institutions.

The blasts occurred four days after the arrest in Brussels of a suspected participant in November militant attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

Belgian police had been on alert for any reprisal action.

Today, officials urged people in the Belgian capital to be vigilant while some other countries like Britain are warning their citizens against travel to the city for all but essential reasons.

Brussels Airlines, which serves many citizens across Europe, has cancelled its services for at least the next two days.

WATCH: Brussels Bombings: Three explosions leave over 30 dead