Helen Suzman Foundation robbery was 'carefully planned'
The organisation’s Francis Antonie says he has his suspicions about who might be behind the incident.
CAPE TOWN - No arrests have yet been made following a robbery at the Johannesburg offices of the Helen Suzman Foundation.
On Sunday afternoon, a group of robbers stole computers and documents in what the foundation says was a carefully planned operation.
The organisation's Francis Antonie says he has his suspicions about who might be behind the incident.
Just days before the robbery, the foundation was in court along with Freedom Under Law seeking an interdict against Hawks boss Berning Ntlemeza.
They are challenging the legitimacy of his appointment.
He says there are several possible reasons for the brazen robbery.
"One is that someone decided to steal our computers to resell them and the other is that they stole our computers to get our information."
The foundation says the armed robbery will not stop it from doing its work.
A guard claimed two people entered the premises and took him to the basement.
The guard was handcuffed to a rail before the foundation's computers were stolen.
Several more robbers then arrived, some of them were armed.
It's understood three of them walked through the offices and were led by a woman, who pointed out computers to steal.
The woman was ticking off items in a notebook, and spoke to someone on the phone while the robbery was underway.
The foundation officially lodged its application against the Hawks head last week.