Fifa launches investigation into 2006 German World Cup bid
Six members of the 2006 World Cup LOC have been named as subjects in the investigation.
JOHANNESBURG - Fifa's Ethics Committee's investigatory chamber has released a statement in which it announces the commencement of formal proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2006 Fifa World Cup.
Fifa will investigate undue payments and contracts, which allegedly gave Germany an advantage in the bidding process.
Wolfgang Niersbach, Helmut Sandrock, Franz Beckenbauer, Theo Zwanziger, Horst R. Schmidt and Stefan Hans have been named as the individuals who will be investigated.
The investigatory chamber says after examining the Freshfields report commissioned by the German Football Association (DFB), it has decided to open formal proceedings against the individuals in the context of the 2006 Fifa World Cup host selection and its associated funding.
The chairman of the chamber, Dr Cornel Borbély, will lead the investigation proceedings as the chief of the investigation.
In the cases of Messrs Niersbach and Sandrock, the investigatory chamber will investigate a possible failure to report a breach of the FifaCode of Ethics, which could constitute a breach of art. 13 (General rules of conduct), art. 15 (Loyalty), art. 18 (Duty of disclosure, cooperating and reporting) and art. 19 (Conflicts of interest) of the FCE.
In the cases of Mr Beckenbauer, Dr Zwanziger, Mr Schmidt and Mr Hans, the investigatory chamber will investigate possible undue payments and contracts to gain an advantage in the 2006 FIFA World Cup host selection and the associated funding, which could constitute a breach of arts 13, 15, 18 and 19 as well as art. 20 (Offering and accepting gifts and other benefits) and art. 21 (Bribery and corruption) of the Fifa Code of Ethics.
The list of possible violations may be supplemented as additional information becomes available.
WHO ARE THESE INDIVIDUALS IN THE WORLD OF FOOTBALL?
- Wolfgang Niersbach: Former president of the DFB, vice-president of the 2006 Fifa World Cup Local Organising Committee (LOC) and current member of the Fifa and Uefa Executive Committees
- Helmut Sandrock: Former secretary general of the DFB and tournament director of the LOC
- Franz Beckenbauer: Former vice-president of the DFB, president of the LOC and former member of the Fifa Executive Committee
- Theo Zwanziger: Former president of the DFB, vice-president of the LOC and former member of the Fifa and Uefa Executive Committees
- Horst R. Schmidt: Former secretary general of the DFB and vice-president of the LOC
- Stefan Hans: Former chief financial officer of the DFB and chief financial officer of the LOC