No looming Cabinet reshuffle, says Presidency
The Presidency has rejected claims of a looming Cabinet reshuffle planned for this week.
JOHANNESBURG - The Presidency has rejected claims of a looming Cabinet reshuffle.
It's been speculated that the president plans to cut several ministers including Minister in the Presidency, Jeff Radebe.
In a statement, the Presidency rejects reports of a Cabinet reshuffle planned for this week.
Spokesperson Bongani Majola says the reports are designed to sow divisions, uncertainty and confusion.
WATCH: 'Relationship between Zuma & Guptas is a corrupt one'
He says it is business as usual and all ministers have been instructed to focus on running their respective departments.
Majola says these are attempts to divert the ministers and cause unease in the national executive.
The Sunday Independent reported that ministers, Rob Davies, Jeff Radebe, Blade Nzimande and Finance Deputy Minister Mcebisi Jonas were all in line to be replaced.
This follows revelations of the Guptas alleged influence on President Jacob Zuma's ministerial appointments.
Last week, Jonas confirmed that he was offered the position of finance minister by a member of the Gupta family.
WATCH: Jonas: The Guptas offered me finance minister job
In a statement, he also said he rejected the offer out of hand.
He even went as far as explaining why he rejected the offer.
"The basis of my rejection of their offer is that it makes a mockery of our hard-earned democracy, the trust of our people and no one apart from the President of the Republic appoints ministers."
Former African National Congress (ANC) MP Vytjie Mentor also spoke out and detailed how the Gupta brothers told her she would replace then Public Enterprises Minister Barbara Hogan, if she agreed to give them government business.
In an interview with the Sunday Times, Vytjie Mentor details how the appointment of David van Rooyen as finance minister and attempts to erode National Treasury prompted her to speak out.
"The Guptas were grabbing Treasury. If they grab a strategically positioned portfolio, they've finished everything."
Meanwhile, the ANC's Secretary-General Gwede Mantashe says anyone who was approached by the Gupta family should contact his office, so the NEC can investigate the claims.
LISTEN: ANC to investigate process of 'state capture'