Zandspruit businessman loses R500k worth of goods in ongoing protests

Erl Saunders says protesters broke into his building and looted the premises.

Angry protesters who have been demonstrating since 15 March 2016 demanding electricity. Picture: @_ArriveAlive.

JOHANNESBURG - A business owner in Zandspruit has told Eyewitness News he has lost over R500,000 worth of goods, after his shop was looted during overnight protest action.

At least two cars were torched and several businesses were ransacked as residents took a stand over the cutting of illegal electricity supply in the informal settlement the northwest of Johannesburg.

Residents have been protesting since Tuesday night.

Erl Saunders says his business has suffered a major setback after protesters broke into his building and looted the premises.

He says he is angry and frustrated.

Saunders is one of number of a businesses here that have been forced to shut their doors.

As police continue to monitor the situation, angry residents are adamant they will not back down until the electricity supply is restored.

Meanwhile, police have arrested 11 people in connection with the ongoing violence in the area.

The Police's Kay Makhubela say the situation has been calm today and they will continue to monitor demonstrators.

"So far the total number of arrests today is 11. They will be charged with public violence and malicious damage to property as well as business burglary."

WATCH: Taking power back...in more ways than one