Fifa confirms 2010 World Cup bribes were paid
In a 22-page doc to the US Department of Justice, Fifa are looking at recovering over $100 million.
CAPE TOWN - World football governing body, Fifa, says that the $10 million that was diverted to a development fund in the Caribbean at the behest of the South African Football Association (Safa) did constitute a bribe.
In a 22-page submission to the US Department of Justice, Fifa are now looking at recovering over $100 million.
In Fifa's submission under the heading 'Defendants, Warner and Blazer's $10 Million 2010 FIFA World CupTM Vote Scheme', they say that it's apparent that a number off officials abused their positions and that Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer engineered a scheme for a $10 million pay-off in exchange for votes for the tournament.
They say that came about after a long established relationship harking back to their backing of the country in the 2006 vote.
They say that Warner's son, Daryan, had benefitted by organising a series of friendly matches against CONCACAF nations played in South Africa as well but that he also traveling to a hotel in Paris to receive a briefcase with $10,000 in cash from a high-ranking South African bid committee official and immediately returned to Trinidad and Tobago to give it to Defendant Warner.
Crucially they say that Warner and his co-conspirators lied to Fifa about the nature of the payment, disguising it as support for the benefit of the "African Diaspora" in the Caribbean region, when in reality it was a bribe.
'THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT… WATCH THE SPACE'
On Monday, former Safa CEO Leslie Sedibe denied being involved in match fixing, saying he approached the national police commissioner to investigate the claims.
Fifa banned him for five years for his alleged unethical behaviour relating to three international friendlies in the run-up to the 2010 World Cup and also fined him R311,000.
He said there was no truth to the allegations that a meeting was held involving him and another official to fix matches.
He said he believed he was the "fall guy" for all the scandals surrounding Fifa and the 2010 World Cup.
"The truth about the $10 million will come out… watch the space."
He said he wasn't in the meeting called into question.
"One of the allegations is that an impression that has been created and you've all been told lies that I met Wilson Perumal at Safa house. Here is a letter, dated 29 April 2010, addressed to Kirsten Nematandani who was the president of Safa at the time."
Sedibe said the Fifa investigation into alleged match fixing remained incomplete and he had never been called into meetings regarding those allegations of match fixing.
Two other former Safa officials, Steve Goddard and Adeel Carelse, each received a two-year ban.
The now Proudly SA CEO said he had on numerous occasions called for an independent inquiry into allegations of match fixing.
"Why did Safa not publicly disclose the fact that the police had indeed investigated this matter? Secondly, that the National Prosecuting Authority had taken a decision not to prosecute."
Sedibe says he has never been given the opportunity by Fifa to respond to the allegations lodged against him.
WATCH: Safa, Fifa… I will see you in court, says Sedibe
'SA DID NOT PAY A BRIBE'
In June last year, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said the South African government and the local organising committee (LOC) did not pay a bribe in its bid to host the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
An Interpol red notice had been issued for former Fifa vice president Jack Warner and five other Fifa officials.
Warner had direct control over the money paid by Fifa, allegedly on South Africa's behalf.
Mbalula said it had been noted the payment of $10m dollars did not come out of the government coffers.
"I can today equivocally state that this payment was not a bribe."
At the press briefing then, Mbalula went through the previous statements released by his department and highlighted key points made then.
The minister said he and his department had refused to be caught up in a battle between the US and Fifa, and that Fifa must speak for themselves.
Mbalula called on the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to furnish government with the indictment.
"I also wish to indicate that the current minister had noted the payment of the $10 million grant in the indictment and noted that this money was not paid through government and those of the local organising committee."
A 2008 letter from then Sports Minister Molefi Oliphant to Fifa Secretary General Jerome Valcke came to light on shortly before Mbalula's press conference in which Safa requested $10 million, that should have come to South Africa for the hosting of the 2010 tournament, be directed to a development project in the Caribbean, controlled by the now disgraced former Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football boss Jack Warner.
JORDAN CONFIRMS SA PAID FIFA $10 MILLION
The Sunday Independent reported that Jordaan said the money was not a bribe, and was in fact paid to the Confederation of North, Central American and the Caribbean Football Association (Concacaf)
The United States Justice Department had claimed a South African bid official paid a bribe for the hosting of the 2010 soccer spectacle.
The newspaper quoted Jordaan as saying the $80 million was paid directly over to South African football authorities in 2008 for the soccer tournament.
A further $20 million dollars was allocated to build Safa House and $10 million was paid to Concacaf.
The paper further claims that no other football association under Fifa had received such a cash injection during 2008.
_ Click here for the US Department of Justice's document._