Suspect in UCT rape case to appear in identity parade
A 35-year-old man, arrested on Saturday, appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court today.
CAPE TOWN - A man accused of raping a University of Cape Town (UCT) student is expected to appear before an identity parade to determine whether he could be linked to similar attacks near Rhodes Memorial.
A 35-year-old man appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate's Court today.
The accused was arrested in his dugout near the memorial on Saturday.
The accused faces rape, kidnapping and an attempted murder charges for the attack on a 23-year-old student near Rhodes Memorial in November.
The prosecution believes video footage and cell phone records are among the evidence linking him to the incident.
The arrest follows a spate of rapes near the UCT campus involving at least three other female students.
Investigators are yet to determine whether the suspect can be charged with the other crimes.
UCT BEEFS UP SECURITY TO PREVENT FUTURE ATTACKS
Yesterday, UCT management said they'd hired additional private security to patrol off-campus areas around Rhodes Memorial and Newlands Forest.
The institution has also been working with South African National Parks (SANParks), Neighbourhood Watch organisations and police to bolster security.
This follows a recent attack one of the university's students who was held captive for more than 24 hours before she escaped.
The 28-year-old woman was attacked and raped while jogging in Newlands forest last week Tuesday.
UCT spokesperson Kylie Hatton says those areas are used frequently and management wants to prevent another attack.
The institution has also been working with South African National Parks (SANParks), neighbourhood watch organisations and police to bolster security.
At least five women have been attacked since November.