Guptas, ANC dismiss claims of offering top finance job to Jonas

'The Sunday Times' reported the job of finance minister was offered to Mcebisi Jonas before Nene was fired.

FILE. Former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene delivering the 2015 MTBPS Speech in Parliament 21 October 2015. Picture: GCIS.

JOHANNESBURG - Both the Gupta family and the African National Congress (ANC) have dismissed reports in the Sunday Times that claim the controversial Gupta family offered the job of finance minister to deputy minister Mcebisi Jonas, before Nhlanhla Nene was fired.

Nene was sacked by President Jacob Zuma in December, before reappointing Pravin Gordhan to the post.

Nene was suddenly fired just one week after he told the South African Airways (SAA) Chair Dudu Myeni she should not go ahead with a planned new deal with Airbus.

The Sunday Times claims Jonas was offered the job by brothers Ajay and Atul Gupta during a meeting in Johannesburg.

But the Guptas say Atul was not in the country at the time and the claims are not true.

The ANC's Khusela Sangoni says they're going to the Press Ombudsman over the issue.

"This is a story that is devoid of any substance. It bases the entire two pages on nameless and faceless sources."

Meanwhile, ANC Deputy Secretary General Jessie Duarte is seeking legal advice after being implicated the alleged plot with the Gupta family to replace Nene with his deputy.

The Sunday Times claims Jonas was offered the post twice last year, by Duarte and a Gupta family member, but he rejected it on both occasions.