Nersa to announce decision on Eskom tariff hike on 1 March
Eskom says it needs to recover more than R20 billion & is asking for a 16.6% tariff hike this year.
JOHANNESBURG - The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) said it will be ready to announce its decision on Eskom's application for a tariff increase by next week.
Nersa was expected to make an announcement yesterday.
Eskom said it needs to recover more than R20 billion and is asking for a 16.6 percent tariff hike for this year.
However, there is a strong counter-argument that an electricity price hike will have a detrimental effect on consumers and business.
Nersa's Charles Hlebela, said the organisation has to verify more information before making a decision.
"Some of the information is coming from Eskom and some of them from the organisations that made an input to this application. The announcement will be made on Tuesday, 1 March."
Eskom maintains it presented a strong case during the hearings held across the country earlier this month.
The Chamber of Mines has also warned that if Eskom's application is approved, 40,000 jobs could be lost.