#PSL: Chiefs get late win, Sundowns left frustrated

Chiefs climb to third after win while Wits closed the gap on leaders Sundowns.

Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday 20 February 2016, moved up to 3rd place, closing the gap on league leaders Sundowns after a dramatic 2-1 win against Supersport United in Cape Town. Picture: @KaizerChiefs via Twitter.

CAPE TOWN - Kaizer Chiefs moved up to third place closing the gap on league leaders Sundowns after a dramatic 2-1 win against Supersport United in Cape Town.

After a goalless first half, the match picked up in action and goals in the second half.

Chief's midfielder George Maluleka opened the scoring from close range after being well set up by Siphiwe Tshabalala.

Supersport looked to have snatched a draw after New Zealand international Jeremy Brockie equalised after a poor clearance by Chiefs.

In more late drama, Supersport could not cope with a long Daniel Cardoso throw in which allowed William Twala to shoot past keeper Ronwen Williams to claim all three points.

This was Steve Komphela's men's fourth successive victory and capped off the third and final match in their Cape Town venture.

Amakhosi leapfrogged Mpumalanga Black Aces into third spot to move within eight points of Mamelodi Sundowns.

Supersport continued their mixed bag of results under new manager Stuart Baxter.

Baxter will be distraught conceding a late goal against his former employees; this means his team remains in the bottom half of the log.

Log leaders Mamelodi Sundowns were left frustrated after playing out a goalless draw against Golden Arrows in Atteridgeville.

Sundowns failed to increase their six match league winning run but do however continue their 16 match unbeaten streak.

Golden Arrows to their credit resisted a late onslaught by the Brazilians to cling onto eighth spot in the league.

Sundowns remain up top but surrendered points to second placed Bidvest Wits, making the margin seven points.

Ajax Cape Town notched up a convincing 4-1 victory on road against Polokwane City at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

The Urban Warriors scored on the stroke of half time courtesy of Erwin Isaacs.

They doubled that lead early in the second half thanks to Prince Nxumalo but the home side struck back midway through the second half via a free kick from Jabulani Maluleke.

The Cape side took City's goal on the chin and hit back soon after through Nxumalo who grabbed himself a brace re-establishing Ajax two goal cushion.

Ndiviwe Mdabuka added some gloss to the score line for the visitors with a free kick late in the match making it 4-1.

Ajax moves to 26 points and are seventh on the table whilst Polokwane City remain in 13th on the log.

Chippa United made it three consecutive wins after beating Free State Stars 2-0 in Port Elizabeth.

Xola Mlambo opened the scoring four minutes before half time before Nkosinathi Mthiyane doubled the lead in in the middle of the second half.

The win maintains the Chilli Boys sixth position on the log while Stars drop to ninth equal on 25 points with eighth placed Golden Arrows.

On Friday night second placed Bidvest Wits closed the gap on Sundowns after skipper Thulani Hlatshwayo scored a brace which included the winner to see off the University of Pretoria 2-1.

Shaun Bartlett's Tuks are still struggling in the relegation zone and are searching for the first win since late January.