NPA lays formal charges against Dramat, Sibiya & Maluleke
Anwa Dramat, Shadrack Sibiya and Lesley Maluleke will appear in court in the next two weeks.
JOHANNESBURG - The Director of Public Prosecutions has decided to prosecute former Hawks head Anwa Dramat, Major-General Shadrack Sibiya and Captain Lesley Maluleke on various charges.
These include kidnapping, defeating the ends of justice and illegal deportation.
The office of the director says these charges arise from the arrest of seven Zimbabwean immigrants in November 2010 and January 2011 and their subsequent illegal deportation or rendition.
The director of public prosecutions says a court date will now be set for three former top Hawks officials who will now be prosecuted.
NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku said, "The three will appear in court over the next two weeks. Arrangements are underway between the prosecution and their legal teams."
DRAMAT 'OFFERS' TO GO ON EARLY RETIREMENT
Last year, Dramat wrote to Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko.
The Sunday Times reported that Dramat stated in the letter that he had made "powerful enemies" by investigating very influential people who wanted him sacked.
In the letter, Dramat stated that he asked for certain case dockets involving very influential people to be centralised under one investigating arm.
This, he argued, clearly caused massive resentment.
He apparently offered to go on early retirement on condition that his suspension be lifted.
It also emerged Benny Ntlemeza, who was appointed as acting head of the Hawks, has close ties with former crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli.
Dramat's suspension was described as "unconstitutional" by the Democratic Alliance.
BOOYSEN, CATO MANOR 'DEATH SQUAD' TO APPEAR IN COURT
Former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks boss Johan Booysen and 27 members of the Cato Manor Organised Crime Unit appeared in the Durban High Court earlier this week.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) announced this week that it was reinstating racketeering charges against Booysen, who had the same charges set aside in 2014 after convincing a court that the decision to charge him was irrational and unconstitutional.
The state is supporting the racketeering charge with more than a dozen charges of murder and assault allegedly committed between 2008 and 2011 by members of the organised crime unit, which was led by Booysen.
Booysen's legal team placed it on record that it intended taking prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams' decision to reinstate racketeering charges on review.
It's understood that among the legal technical aspects it would rely on, was the inclusion in the prosecution authorisation certificate of an accused who died three years ago.
The NPA says the inclusion was deliberate, in order to be able to fully set out the extent of the alleged criminal enterprise in the indictment.
Independent legal experts have been unable to corroborate this rationale.
Booysen is also likely to rely on a legal opinion by prosecutor Jan Ferreira addressed to Abrahams in August last year, where he found that there was no case against him.
The NPA says it will make the indictment public after the accused have appeared in court.