#Pikitup: Contingency plans in place to collect rubbish

The waste management company said the strike will affect refuse collection in all regions of the city.

Pikitup workers have been striking in Johannesburg CBD this week emptying trash in the streets and not collecting refuse in Johannesburg. Picture: Tara Meaney/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Pikitup said it has contingency plans in place to ensure that rubbish is collected in certain areas around Johannesburg this weekend.

On Thursday, hundreds of workers, affiliated to the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu), embarked on an illegal strike.

The waste management company said the strike will affect refuse collection in all regions of the city.

Samwu has denied that its workers have downed tools, saying that they merely had a meeting to attend and will return to work.

Pikitup's Pansy Oyedele said, "There will be other areas which will be prioritised tomorrow but this doesn't mean that the workers are back. It's a contingency plan that we're putting in place to alleviate."

Samwu's Nonceba Mbilini has accused Pikitup management of trying to delay the implementation of agreements reached last year.

"They've charged shop stewards with issues that are not even clear to us. I think they're trying to charge our shop stewards so they can stall the issue of the agreement which was reached in December."

Pikitup managing director Amanda Nair said, "We acted immediately. We issued the charges. We tried to convene the disciplinary process as quickly as possible, simply to get it out of the way so that it doesn't convolute the process that we engaged with."