Suspected child killers’ lawyer says he fears for his life

Nico Du Plessis was attacked outside the Tonga Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The screengrab from video footage which shows a mob of people attacking Advocate Nico De Plessis outside the Tonga Magistrate's Court on Thursday 21 January.

JOHANNESBURG - An Mpumalanga advocate, who was attacked outside the Tonga Magistrate's Court last week, says he will continue to represent two men implicated in the case of a missing three-year-old girl.

Nico Du Plessis says he was leaving the court when he was thrown to the ground by an angry mob of community members on Thursday.

He says he has approached the director of public prosecutions to transfer the case to a nearby town out of fear for his safety.

"So far they have refused but after seeing a lot of death threats on the internet, I have included that, so we made another request this morning."

Watch: Lawyer assaulted by community members for representing his clients.

The accused have been charged with kidnapping and face a possible murder charge, after the child went missing late last year. There is however no body of evidence to support the claims.

Du Plessis says he cannot drop the case because the pair have the right to legal representation.

"They are entitled, constitutionally, to be represented. It's easy to say you fear for your life, just withdraw but what happens to the accused?"

The pair is expected to make their second appearance tomorrow where there will be police presence.