Court summons being prepped for #ZumaMustFall billboard spot
The municipality says the banner's support structure violates its by-laws & national building regulations.
CAPE TOWN - A court summons is being prepared for the owners of a company which put up the controversial Zuma Must Fall billboard in the Cape Town city centre.
The body corporate of Overbeek Building could also face prosecution after failing to meet the City's deadline to take down the banner by the end of Friday.
The municipality says the support structure of the banner violates its by-laws and the national building regulations.
The city's Priya Reddy says they've handed the document over to the prosecutors who are now drawing up a summons that will be delivered to the owners of the signage company in due course.
"From there, we hope it will be heard in court between 14 and 21 days after the delivery of the summons."
The billboard was taken down by angry ANC supporters and was last week replaced with the South African flag.
The council says this is also illegal.
CHAOS AS 'ZUMA MUST FALL' BILLBOARD COMES DOWN
Chaotic scenes broke out in a section of Cape Town inner city after the notorious 'Zuma Must Fall' billboard was torn down by ANC supporters last weekend.
Police were on the scene but did not act as the banner on Kloof Street was being torn down.
WATCH: Man assaulted during Zuma Must Fall banner removal.
The poster was erected by a so-called private initiative as a form of protest.
A group of ANC supporters were allowed access to the building and while some pulled the billboard down from the roof, others cut it up through the windows.
They claimed the poster disrespected President Jacob Zuma.