Belgium makes 10th arrest in Paris attacks investigation
The man, named as 22-year-old Ayoub B, was charged with terrorist murder.
BRUSSELS - A man was arrested during a search of a house in Brussels on Wednesday, federal prosecutors said on Thursday, making him the tenth person to be held in Belgium over the militant attacks in Paris which killed 130 people in November.
The man, named as 22-year-old Ayoub B., was charged with terrorist murder and participation in a terrorist organisation, prosecutors said on Thursday.
Belgium has been at the heart of investigations into attacks in Paris, as two of the Paris suicide bombers, Brahim Abdeslam and Bilal Hadfi, had been living in Belgium.
WATCH: Paris Attacks: Witnesses describe terrifying ordeal
AUTHORITIES ON ALERT for NYE
Last week, Vienna police said a "friendly" intelligence service had warned European capitals of the possibility of a shooting or bomb attack before New Year, prompting police across the continent to increase security measures.
"Several possible names of potential attackers were mentioned, which were checked, and the investigation based on [these checks] has so far yielded no concrete results," Vienna police said in a statement.
At the same time, authorities in Brussels on Wednesday called off the city's traditional New Year's Eve fireworks display, citing fears of a militant attack.
Federal prosecutors said two people suspected of plotting an attack in Brussels on New Year's Eve had been arrested during house searches in different parts of the country.
"Together with the interior minister, we've decided to not have the celebrations on Thursday evening," Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur told the state broadcaster RTBF.
Brussels last cancelled its New Year fireworks in 2007, when it was also on high alert after a plan was foiled to free Tunisian Nizar Trabelsi, convicted of plotting to blow up a military base.