Two arrested in Belgium over suspected New Year's Eve attack plot

Belgium has been at the heart of investigations into the November Paris attacks that left 130 people dead.

Soldiers and police patrol on Brussels' Grand Place as the Belgian capital remains on the highest possible alert level on November 23, 2015. Belgian police arrested five more people in a new series of anti-terrorism raids Monday, prosecutors said, as the capital Brussels was locked down for a third day under a state of maximum alert. Picture: AFP.

BRUSSELS - Two people were arrested in Belgium on Sunday and Monday, both suspected of plotting an attack in Brussels on New Year's Eve, federal prosecutors said.

Police found military clothing and Islamic State propaganda material but no weapons or explosives, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

"Our investigation revealed serious threats of an attack on symbolic places in Brussels during the celebrations for New Year's Eve," the prosecutors said in a statement.

A total of six people had been taken in for questioning during house searches in Brussels, a neighbouring province and Liege, but four of them had since been released, the prosecutors added.

Belgium has been at the heart of investigations into the Paris attacks on 13 November that left 130 people dead after links with Brussels emerged. Two of the Paris suicide bombers, Brahim Abdeslam and Bilal Hadfi, had been living in Belgium.

Belgian police have arrested nine people in connection with the Paris attacks. But the prosecutors said Tuesday's announcement was not linked to that investigation.