100 killed on WC roads since beginning of December

Irresponsible driver behaviour and failure to wear seatbelts are contributing factors.

FILE: Four people were killed in a head-on collision between several taxis between Laingsburg and Prince Albert on the N1 Highway on Sunday 20 December 2015. Picture: Supplied.

CAPE TOWN - A hundred people have died in fatal crashes since the beginning of this month in the Western Cape.

Twenty-four of those were killed this past weekend.

Provincial traffic chief Kenny Africa says irresponsible driver behaviour and motorists failing to wear seatbelts are contributing factors.

Africa says even though the death toll is lower than last year's figure over the same period, he's urges road users to exercise extreme caution.

"Eighty percent of the fatalities we experience on the roads is due to the fact that people just don't use safety belts. This weekend alone we lost 24 lives on our roads; 24 far too many."