Scorching temperatures to continue until Wednesday
Mpumalanga, Gauteng & Limpopo have been gripped by yet another heatwave that started over the weekend.
JOHANNESBURG - The weather service says residents in Mpumalanga, Gauteng and Limpopo can expect sweltering temperatures to continue until at least Wednesday.
Parts of the country have been gripped by yet another heatwave that started over the weekend with temperatures peaking at 40 degrees in some parts.
This is believed to be the third heatwave warning the country has received since the start of the summer season.
Forecaster Kholofelo Mahlangu said, "For tomorrow, Pretoria is expected to reach about 37 degrees, Johannesburg 33, Vereeniging 34 and we are expecting extremely high temperatures over the Limpopo and Mpumalanga Lowveld, where temperatures will be in their 40s."
How to beat the heat:
• Stay well hydrated by drinking a lot of water.
• Keep a close eye on babies, the elderly and children and ensure they stay well hydrated.
• Ensure pets have a cool place to relax and cool, clean water to drink as well.
• Try to stay out of direct sunlight.
• Wear the appropriate clothing and use sunscreen.
• Limit participation in outdoor activities. If you plan on participating in outdoor activities, ensure you rest and keep hydrated.
• If you are going to spend time in a pool, ensure your safety and that of children around you. Ensure that they are supervised while around and in the pool.
• Do not leave children and pets in a vehicle, even with a window open.