Masiphumelele residents start rebuilding after deadly fire
Thousands of Masiphumelele residents have started rebuilding their homes today.
CAPE TOWN - Thousands of Masiphumelele residents have started rebuilding their homes today after a vicious fire destroyed their shacks.
Two people died and at least 4,000 others were left homeless when the fire broke out last week.
The cause of the blaze is yet to be determined.
Ward Councillor Felicity Purchase said, "Yesterday we delivered the first lot but they didn't want to build until everybody was guaranteed a shack. Today they are building."
On Friday, a company that manufactures fire-retardant paint said the devastation could have been mitigated had the City of Cape Town not dragged its feet.
Last week, the City launched a fire safety campaign with Transception, a project implementation company that manufactures the fire-retardant pain.
Transception's CEO Justin Zietsman claimed they were commissioned by the municipality to roll-out the fire-retardant paint to three thousand shacks in Masiphumelele in the first week of November.
On Monday, the City said the layout of shacks to be rebuilt in fire ravaged Masiphumelele needs to be changed so as to allow emergency vehicles easier access should there be further blazes.