Seven arrested following EC initiate’s botched circumcision
The Health Department has confirmed 8 initiates in total died this week in botched initiation procedures.
CAPE TOWN - Seven people have been arrested following the botched circumcision of an initiate.
The Eastern Cape Health Department has confirmed eight initiates in total have died this week in botched initiation procedures.
Arrests have been made for one of the initiates' deaths.
The department's Luvuyo Bayeni says the arrests were made by a provincial task team, consisting of both the police and the National Prosecuting Authority.
"There are seven people that we've laid charged against. That is one of the improvements we're optimistic about. In terms of the law, we'll be doing much better this season."
MALE INITIATES RESCUED IN GAUTENG
Meanwhile, at least 80 males have been rescued from illegal initiation schools across Gauteng.
The Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs says 59 initiates, aged between 10 and 23, have been found in and around the Orange Farm area since Monday.
Eyewitness News spoke to a number of parents who suspected their children had been taken to initiation schools.
Parents joined police in search efforts after reporting their sons missing.
The department's Nhlakanipho Nkontwana says, "On Thursday, 25 were rescued and then on Friday, 37 were rescued in the Sharpeville area. In the Westonaria area, there are three illegal schools that have destroyed."