SABC under pressure to resume Motsoeneng's hearing

The DA is threatening to take legal action if the SABC accepts the decision to terminate the hearing.

The South African Broadcasting Corporation. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The SABC is under pressure to resume disciplinary proceedings against Hlaudi Motsoenen g with the DA threatening to take legal action if the public broadcaster accepts the decision to terminate the hearing.

Advocate William Mokhari, the chairperson of the hearing, ended the inquiry yesterday in light of recent developments that affect Motsoeneng's position as Chief Operating Officer.

Last week, the Western Cape High Court ruled that Motsoeneng's permanent appointment was both irrational and unlawful, but the judgment is being appealed.

Motsoeneng's lawyer Zola Majavu says he's received confirmation from the SABC that it does not agree with Mokhari's decision.

"I don't want to get into the debate whether the decision is right or wrong. The fact is the employer still wants to discipline their employee and the employee is prepared to subject himself to that discipline."

The disciplinary hearing relates to allegations Motsoeneng abused his power, misrepresented his qualifications and purged senior staff members.

Last year, Western Cape High Court Judge Ashton Schippers ordered the SABC board to suspend Motsoeneng pending the outcome of the disciplinary process which he said should be concluded within 60 days.

After a year of legal wrangling, the hearing got underway on Tuesday, only to be terminated two days later.