Gauteng hit by much-needed storm
Earlier, South African Weather Service issued a warning of severe thunderstorms with hail & strong winds.
JOHANNESBURG - Farmers, those living in drought-stricken areas and people across Gauteng are rejoicing as much-needed #RainHasFallen.
Following weeks of heatwaves, water shortages, areas being declared 'disaster zones' and farmers struggling to produce, Gauteng has welcomed the wet weather.
Hail storms and strong winds hit most of Gauteng this afternoon.
Hail storms have already been reported across the country and many have taken to social media to share their beautiful views, their 'snow toys' and mock the sizes of the hail stones.
- Zandile Mlotshwa (@zmlotsh) November 16, 2015
- RandomDispositions (@My_Dispositions) November 16, 2015
I wonder if Opposition Parties are gonna Thank ANC for #hailstorm since they were the cause of Drought 🤔 ... 2 Sugars Pls ☕️🐸
- ANDY X ™ (@DJANDYX) November 16, 2015
- Lindie Hall (@Alchemystix) November 16, 2015
- MintFox89 (@MintFoxDesign) November 16, 2015
- Jeandré Goliath (@Jeandre_Goliath) November 16, 2015
Did you also hear about the hail in Witbank...;)
- Frans Kruger (@fransenlouisa) November 16, 2015
- Joshua Silas Paul (@TheRockerJosh) November 16, 2015
- Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) November 16, 2015
- #MYSTORYNationalTour (@GrootmanTebza) November 16, 2015
Meanwhile, City Power says most of Roodepoort will be without electricity until later this evening after a tree was blown over in the heavy storm landing on a main power line.
City Power's Louis Pieterse says technicians are working to remove the tree and fix the line.
"We expect the outage to last for four to six hours."
At the same time, paramedics are on the scene of a roof collapse at a service station in Brakpan, which rushed a number of cars taking cover from the hail.
Netcare 911's Chris Botha said, "The hail piled up on the roof and caused it to crash on top of the vehicles. Fortunately no people were injured in this incident but it made it very difficult for paramedics to respond because of the amount of ice on the roads."
Motorists have also been warned to be cautious on the roads.
- Elize Giese (@ElizeGiese) November 16, 2015
- Zukiswa (@Zukiswa) November 16, 2015
- Sane (@SaneMncwabe) November 16, 2015
- Arrive Alive (@_ArriveAlive) November 16, 2015
- Clive Conlon (@Clive_Conlon) November 16, 2015
Brakpan main taxi route flooded. Traffic chaos! pic.twitter.com/wsIy9IYSj1
- Nomsa Maseko (@nomsa_maseko) November 16, 2015
Videos and pictures of large hail stones and roofs being blown off and damaged have also been widely shared on social media.