Paris counts cost of “worst attack since World War II”
129 people are dead, 352 wounded and 99 are in a critical condition.
JOHANNESBURG - As France contemplates it's retaliation against the Islamic State, Parisians are still counting the cost of what has been called the worst attack against France since the Second World War.
One hundred and twenty-nine people are dead, 352 wounded and 99 are in a critical condition.
A number of countries are trying to determine whether their nationals are among the victims.
A California student studying in Paris has been confirmed among the dead along with at least one Briton.
No South Africans have been identified among the victims yet.
The assailants in the theatre are believed to have blown themselves up after shooting victims with around 100 people killed.
Two suicide bombers detonated explosives at the stadium while gunmen with automatic weapons opened fire on people eating dinner.
WATCH: Over 120 killed in Paris terror attacks
ONE SUSPECT ARRESTED
One of the attackers involved in the Paris attacks has been identified as a common criminal.
The attacker has been identified as a 30-year-old French national.
He was involved in the theatre attacks which left more than 80 people dead.
Paris Prosecutor Francois Molin addressed the media on the first results of their investigation.
"He had sentences before 2010, an individual who was never put in prison, but he was never involved with any kind of any terrorism."
He says they are looking into who was responsible.
"We can see that there were likely three teams of terrorists who caused this barbarous attacks and so we need to determine the authors, their accomplices, the orderers the mandators and the financing."
Meanwhile, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is sending a team of four agents to Paris to assist with the investigation.
Among the agents being deployed are those with expertise in recovering information from electronic devices like cellphones and computers.
CNN's Pamela Brown said, "At this stage the FBI is sending these four agents to lend forensic expertise, analytical expertise and investigative expertise as needed. The French have not officially or formally asked the US for help as but the FBI is being proactive as sending these agents in anticipation of the French needing the help. Also the FBI has some jurisdiction, we know that an American has been killed."
WATCH: Paris Attacks: Witnesses describe terrifying ordeals
ATTACKS LINKED TO SYRIA
The carnage on the streets of the French capital followed recent attacks claimed by Islamic State: the apparent downing of a Russian passenger plane in Egypt, where 224 people died, and bombings in Lebanon in which 43 died.
Turkey has also pointed the finger at Islamic State over a bomb attack on a rally in Ankara last month in which more than 100 people were killed. All the attacks were linked to the war in Syria.
Prime Minister Manuel Valls said France had no intention of halting its air strikes.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan urged world leaders gathered for a summit in Turkey starting on Sunday to prioritise the fight against terrorism, saying the Paris attacks showed the time for words was now over.
Hollande pulled out of the G20 summit after declaring the first nationwide state of emergency since 1961.
France will be represented by its foreign and finance ministers.