Motsoeneng’s disciplinary hearing postponed indefinitely
Hlaudi Motsoeneng's lawyer, Zola Majavu, says they are disappointed that the hearing didn't go ahead.
JOHANNESBURG - South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Chief Operations Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng's disciplinary hearing has been postponed indefinitely on the first day after prosecutors said they needed more time to prepare.
The hearing is being chaired by Advocate William Mokhari and started with the application for the postponement, after the SABC ordered Motsoeneng to answer to charges levelled against him by the public protector.
He's accused of misrepresenting his qualifications and irregularly hiking his salary three times in the space of one year.
Motsoeneng's lawyer, Zola Majavu, says they are disappointed that the hearing didn't go ahead.
"For me it's disconcerting; we were ready and said to them to give us the documents we require."
Last week, the Democratic Alliance (DA) agreed to drop its contempt of court case against the COO.
The official opposition is satisfied with the terms of Motsoeneng's voluntary leave of absence ahead of his disciplinary hearing later this month.
The DA wrote to the SABC on Sunday asking for clarity on Motsoeneng's voluntary leave of absence.
The party has since received a response which it says confirms that the SABC had agreed to the terms of his suspension as set out by the Western Cape High Court.