Victor Matfield refuses to discuss Heyneke Meyer's future
Instead, Victor Matfield says that Meyer needs to build with the squad that he has already put together.
LONDON - Veteran Springbok lock, Victor Matfield, has this morning added his thoughts on whether Heyneke Meyer should be offered a new Springbok contract.
The Springboks were last night beaten in the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup by New Zealand 20-18 at Twickenham.
They will play in Friday's game for third place between the team that will lose today in the match against either Australia or Argentina.
Meyer's four-year contract comes to an end later this year and last night, in a response to a question from Eyewitness News , he said "he's there to serve and that question needs to be asked of SA Rugby".
Matfield says that the current coach is the obvious choice.
"It's very difficult for me to say anything on the coach. You guys know how I feel about Heyneke and my belief in him. I think we've got great players here, I think if you look at the squad is a very young squad, with four or five old players but it's very young squad."
Matfield says that Meyer needs to build with the squad that he has already put together.
"You look at 10, 12, 13 locks that's here, so much talent. So I think a guy like Heyneke will love to keep working with these boys, that he picked us youngsters and hopefully they can win the next world cup for us."
Earlier, Meyer refused to be drawn on whether he's to stay on in the job.
"I'm here to serve and everything that I worry about is to get my team right on track and to focus on the next game, so you must ask that to SA Rugby."
That was Meyer's response when asked by EWN Sport if he had signed a new deal to stay on as Springbok coach.
It's widely believed that he agreed, in principal earlier this year to an extension which was to be rubberstamped pending the outcome for the team's performance at the World Cup.
He added that he is very proud of the team's performance.
"I don't think anybody gave us a chance. We gave it everything but we weren't good enough."
The All Blacks coach Steve Hansen also congratulated the Springboks saying, "It's a pity someone has to go out after a game like that.
Meyer said that he takes full responsibility after they were knocked out of the Rugby World Cup.
It was a titanic clash at Twickenham with the other semi-final between Australia and Argentina set for today. Handre Pollard kicked 15 of the Springboks points.
Meyer said the buck stops with him.
"I've to take tonight on the chin. All credit to the All Blacks, I don't have any excuses I gave everything I've tried of, everything I've got but wasn't good enough. But again I'll never be satisfied with losing any games. I take it personally."
Meyer said that the youth in the side makes springboks rugby of the future an exciting prospect
"You look at the guys that played now in our team, 80 or 90 percent of them will still be in the next World Cup. It's not just about World Cups; I really believe that this team can go places. So many youngsters coming through in all positions and I think this can be one of the best teams going forward."
Meyer said that the Springboks started well and looked well-placed at one point.
"We've always been great against the All Blacks ball in hand and we've always been brilliant in the first half and lead and then fall flat the second half. I knew our fitness level is not of the best, so to stay in the game and to lead the first half I believe we played brilliantly and tactically well."
Visit the Eyewitness News special Rugby World Cup 2015 portal.