Rhodes students get early start
Rhodes University students are mobilising other students for today's protests.
RHODES - Rhodes University students have gotten an early start to the day's fees demonstrations
- EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) October 21, 2015
Dozens of students are moving from residence to residence waking others up and mobilizing them to join the protests.
LISTEN: Analysts deliberate on campaign.
Many students say the six percent cap on tuition fees that the Minister of Higher Education and Training has announced, is still too high.
Yesterday students at the University of Fort Hare also called for free education.
WATCH: Fort Hare students remain resilient, demand 0% increase.
Meanwhile, the South African Students Congress (Sasco) says a number of universities across the country and as well as agricultural colleges will take part in today's national shutdown.
• University of Free State
• University of Limpopo
• University of Fort Hare
• Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
• University of the Witwatersrand
• University of Cape Town
• Eastcape Midlands College (Grahamstown)
• The University currently known as Rhodes
• Central University of Technology
• Cape Peninsula University of Technology
• University of Western Cape
• All 11 Agricultural Colleges in South Africa
• Walter Sisulu University (Buffalo City Campus and Umtata Campus)
• Tshwane University of Technology
• University of Pretoria
• North West University (Potchefstroom campus)
• University of Stellenbosch
The protests have also been endorsed with messages of solidarity from students in the United Kingdom and in the SADC region.