#RWC2015: Argentina lead Ireland at halftime

The first half was played at a relentless pace with both teams taking each other on, now at 20-10.

Argentina vs Ireland in the Rugby World Cup quarterfinal at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff, Wales, on 18 October 2015. Picture: Rugby World Cup ‏@rugbyworldcup."

CAPE TOWN - Argentina take a 20-10 lead into halftime in their Rugby World Cup 2015 quarterfinal against Ireland being played at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

The first half was played at a relentless pace, with both teams taking each other on and some quality play from both backlines.

Los Pumas found themselves 14-0 up after just 10 minutes, running in two tries in the opening minutes of the game.

Matias Moroni was first to score as he raced down the right wing to dot down within three minutes. The move all started in their own half after Joaquin Tuculet won a high ball, which soon found its way down the line into Moroni's hands.

Seven minutes later, winger Juan Imhoff scored his fourth try of the tournament as he ran on to collect Santiago Cordero chip, before touching down just before dead ball line.

Argentina flyhalf Nicholas Sanchez also slotted two conversions and two penalties in the first half.

Ireland were nowhere in the game up until the 17th minute, when Argentinean prop Ramiro Herrera was sin binned for a no arm tackle, old fashioned shoulder charge on an Irish player.

Ian Madigan finally got the Irish on the scoreboard with a converted penalty after 20 minutes.

With Argentina down to 14 men for 10 minutes, Ireland made full use of the man advantage, and soon after crossed over for their first try by substitute Luke Fitzgerald.

He was released down the left wing by Robbie Henshaw, before cutting inside, slipping a tackle and scoring.

Ireland had the momentum at that stage and continued to run at the Argentinean defensive line. The South Americans however stood firm to see the half out with a 20-10 lead.

Visit the Eyewitness News special Rugby World Cup 2015 portal.