Motsoeneng ordered to appear before disciplinary hearing

The SABC has served Motsoeneng with a charge sheet after being compelled to do so by the courts.

FILE: SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s supporters outside court on 18 September 2015. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has instructed its COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng to appear before a disciplinary hearing at the end of this month.

The public broadcaster has served Motsoeneng with a charge sheet after being compelled to do so by the courts.

Motsoeneng's troubles relate to a damning report compiled by the Public Protector last year following a probe into allegations of governance failures at the SABC.

The Public Protector directed the SABC board to take appropriate disciplinary action against Motsoeneng last year for his improper conduct, alleged abuse of power, purging of senior staff and misrepresenting his qualifications.

Two court orders later, the public broadcaster has now initiated disciplinary proceedings against him.

But he has not been suspended.

Motsoeneng has turned to the Constitutional Court to appeal the court orders compelling the SABC to suspend him pending the outcome of the disciplinary process.

In an affidavit, supporting his application for leave to appeal, Motsoeneng says the Public Protector never said he should be suspended.

He is confident the disciplinary process will clear his name.

MOTSOENENG CONFIDENT OF HIS INNOCENCE

The operations chief is confident an SABC disciplinary hearing will find him not guilty of various allegations.

He made the statement in an affidavit supporting his Constitutional Court appeal against an order that says he must be suspended.

Motsoeneng has applied for leave to appeal a court order compelling the SABC to suspend him pending the outcome of a disciplinary process.

LISTEN: DA wants Motsoeneng suspended.

The hearing is scheduled to take place at the end of this month.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago confirms a charge sheet was served on Motsoeneng on Monday.

"The charges were done and we cannot comment any further than that."

In an affidavit filed with the Constitutional Court, Motsoeneng says the public protector did not call for his suspension.