MSF working to secure safety of staff in Afghan

The explosion in the city of Kunduz early this morning has left more than 30 people unaccounted for.

In this undated photograph released by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) on 3 October, 2015, Afghan MSF medical personnel treat civilians injured following an offensive against Taliban militants by Afghan and coalition forces at the MSF hospital in Kunduz. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - Doctors Without Morders (MSF) says it is doing everything possible secure the safety of its staff after nine aid workers were killed and at least 19 others seriously wounded in a bombing at a hospital run by the group in Afghanistan.

The explosion in the city of Kunduz early this morning has left more than 30 people unaccounted for.

The US military has acknowledged it may have bombed a hospital during its airstrikes against the Taliban in the city.

Doctors Without Borders' Kate Ribet says, "At the moment we're currently looking into the circumstances of this incident but we condemn, in the strongest possible, the horrific bombing."

Earlier today it was reported that airstrikes killed three staff members after US forces conducted airstrikes in the area.

At least 37 people were critically injured, including 19 of the medical aid organisation's staff.

US forces carried out a nearby strike early Saturday "against individuals threatening the force," army spokesman Col. Brian Tribus said.

The strike "may have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility," he added in a statement.

Fighting has raged around the Afghan provincial capital this week, as government forces backed by American air power seek to drive out Taliban militants who seized the city in the biggest victory of their nearly 14-year insurgency.

Bart Janssens, operations director for Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) added, "We do not yet have the final casualty figures, but our medical teams are providing first aid and treating the injured patients and MSF personnel."

A wall of the hospital's main building collapsed, scattering fragments of glass and wooden door frames, while three rooms were on fire, said Saad Mukhtar, director of public health in Kunduz.

"Thick black smoke could be seen rising from some of the rooms. The fighting is still going on, so we had to leave," Mukhtar said after a visit to the hospital.

According to CNN, when the aerial attack occurred, 105 patients and their caretakers were in the hospital.