EcoMobility Month: Road closures expected from tomorrow
Several roads will be closed in Sandton while barriers are set up for the 2015 EcoMobility Festival.
JOHANNESBURG - The City of Johannesburg has warned there will be several road closures in Sandton tomorrow in preparation for the 2015 EcoMobility Festival.
Various permanent and temporary changes will come into effect from Monday 5 October, in an attempt to encourage people to use public transport, walkways and bicycle lanes, instead of their private vehicles.
Tomorrow, however, several roads will be closed while barriers are being set up.
- Alice Lane closure at the intersection with West Street. A turnaround facility has been provided to allow vehicles using Alice Lane to turn at the temporary closure point.
- Maude Street (west of West Street) - temporary closure at the intersection with West Street.
- Gwen Lane at Maude Street - limited local access southbound to Maude Street eastbound (managed) at the intersection of Gwen and Maude.
- The end of West Street at Fredman Drive on the southern carriageway of West Street will be closed between Fredman Drive to a point just south of Maude Street.
- The one way on Maude will be signed and barricaded at Rivonia Road /Maude Street to prevent entry from Rivonia Road - eastbound movement will be permitted and a pop-up cycle lane will be in effect for the duration of the Festival on the southern edge of Maude between Rivonia and West Street.
- A barricade will be introduced north of Citibank to protect the EcoMobility street closure on West Street.
- Hoarding is being introduced on West Street to separate the 'car free zone' on West Street from the active traffic lanes on West Street.
WATCH: Parks Tau is encouraging the citizens of Joburg to make use of public transport during the EcoMobility Festival in October.