Springbok fans sympathise with Jean de Villiers
A fracture to his jaw led to de Villiers being ruled out of the remainder of the Rugby World Cup.
JOHANNESBURG - Springboks' fans have taken to Twitter to express their support for Captain Jean de Villiers who suffered a fracture to his jaw and wish him a speedy recovery.
The injury, which he sustained during the Pool B match against Samoa in Birmingham on Saturday, led to de Villiers being ruled out of the remainder of the Rugby World Cup.
The Bok had a massive come back yesterday, beating Samoa 46-6, a victory which many are still rejoicing over.
He suffered the fracture with eight minutes left in a tackle with Samoa fullback Tim Nanai-Williams.
The captain is set to return home for further treatment.
Most fans say it was an unfortunate incident after the hard work de Villiers put in in preparing for this tournament.
Gotta feel for Jean de Villiers. Every single time he goes to world cup he gets injured.
- Juice (@Justy_Says) September 27, 2015
- ASICS South Africa (@ASICS_ZA) September 27, 2015
Wishing Jean de Villiers well.Has served the country well.
- Vusi Pikoli (@VusiPikoli) September 27, 2015
- Michael Sherman (@Golfhackno1) September 27, 2015
😔 Jean De Villiers 💔. He had worked so hard to get there. So unlucky.
- Tapfuma Makina (@TapfumaMakina) September 27, 2015
World cups are not in God's plans for Jean de Villiers.
- Musze (@ClixWell) September 27, 2015
- Rugby World Cup (@rugbyworldcup) September 27, 2015
- Dean (@iDeanCrowley) September 27, 2015
V sad for Jean de Villiers to miss another World Cup due to injury
- LG45 (@Lutin_Grant) September 27, 2015
Meanwhile, Jan Serfontein has been called up and will join the squad in Newcastle on Monday.
Visit the _ Eyewitness News _ special Rugby World Cup 2015 portal.