Calm returns to Strand after bombing of Intercape bus
It’s understood three petrol bombs struck an Intercape bus making its final pickups before leaving the city.
CAPE TOWN - It's business as usual in Solly's Town near Strand after an Intercape bus was torched last night.
At least two people have died and several others have sustained severe burn wounds after three petrol bombs struck the double-decker bus.
It's understood the bus was hit moments before making its final pickups before leaving the city.
Burnt rubble and other objects have already been cleared from the road following the torching of an Intercape bus along Onverwacht Road last night.
- EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 16, 2015
Witnesses claim to have seen three men fleeing the scene shortly after the bus was set alight.
Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN
But community leader Nkosinathi Ralarala believes this was an act of criminality.
"I think some people have plotted this. How did they know that bus was passing this road at that time?"
Police say they will leave no stone unturned to bring the assailants to book.
BUS DRIVER TARGETED
The driver of the Intercape bus claims he has being targeted by striking drivers.
Denis Moyo says the assailants threw two petrol bombs directly at him, before tossing another one at the passengers.
Moyo says he's lucky to have escaped the burning wreckage alive.
The 42-year-old long distance driver says this was the second attack on his life after he was shot at in Grabouw last month.
He says while he has notified his employer and laid a criminal charge, he is too traumatised to return to work.