Probe into xenophobic attacks ‘on track’

The 'Sunday Times' reported the probe has hit a dead-end and King Zwelithini has been exonerated.

FILE: Young Malawian men sit inside their tent in the Isipingo camp during xenophobic violence in Durban earlier this year. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has dismissed claims its probe into controversial remarks made by Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has been derailed.

Earlier this year Zwelithini made comments during a regeneration campaign, where he appealed to foreign nationals to pack up their belongings and leave South Africa.

Many have accused the king of sparking xenophobic violence earlier this year.

He is facing charges of hate speech and human rights violations.

The commission said its investigation is on track and a preliminary report is expected to be released "very soon".

The Sunday Times newspaper reported that the commission's probe has hit a dead-end and the Zulu king has been exonerated.

The commission initially promised to release its findings in June but failed to do so.

Spokesperson Isaac Mangena said the delays were caused by requests by some respondents.

"The king and some of the respondents and complainants requested extensions for their submissions, that's why we couldn't at that time."

Seven people including four South Africans were killed during xenophobic related violence earlier this year.