Nelson Mandela’s grandson to remain in custody
The 24-year-old is accused of raping a 15-year-old girl at a pub in Greenside earlier this month.
JOHANNESBURG - The case against Nelson Mandela's grandson has been postponed to 25 August, and he is set to remain in custody until then.
The 24-year-old is accused of raping a 15-year-old girl at a pub in Greenside, north of Johannesburg, earlier this month.
He was arrested over the weekend after the teenager opened the case against him.
Following lengthy delays this morning, defence lawyers presented affidavits, which Magistrate Pieter du Plessis says do not thoroughly motivate why bail should be granted.
The defence is expected to argue his alleged sexual encounter with a girl, he believed to be 16, was consensual.
Defence lawyer Nico Swart told the court the victim had claimed on multiple occasions to be over the legal age of consent.
Next Tuesday, the magistrate is expected to be shown a copy of the victim's identity document as well as an affidavit from a witness claiming the encounter was consensual.
The Johannesburg Magistrates Court heard that the defence for Madiba's grandson failed to show exceptional circumstances, which would warrant the accused being granted bail.
Magistrate du Plessis said he wasn't convinced by today's presentation by the lawyers for the 24-yer-old.
He will remain in police custody while his defence team collects additional documents to secure his freedom ahead of his trial.
The magistrate granted his lawyers a postponement in order for them to thoroughly present their case next week.