Education dept makes other provisions for Roodepoort pupils

David Makhura announced on Friday he’s closing down Roodepoort Primary School until peace is restored.

FILE: Police at the Roodepoort Primary School have called for the principal at the school to step down on 20 February 2015. Picture: Govan Whittles/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The Gauteng Education Department says it has made alternative schooling arrangements for pupils at the Roodepoort Primary School which has been temporarily shut down.

Gauteng Premier David Makhura announced last week that the school will be closed due to disputes which have caused disruptions.

Conflict erupted earlier this year when parents at the school accused the principal and her deputies of racial discrimination.

There have been violent protests with some parents allegedly calling for the replacement of a black principal with a coloured one.

The department's Phumla Sekhonyane says transport arrangements have been made for all pupils who will temporarily be taught at the Lufhereng Primary School.

"Pickup points are as follows: Roodepoort Primary School, Roodepoort City Hall, Matholeville Hall, Princess informal settlement."

Meanwhile, Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said the department has met with the community 33 times in 11 months to try stabilize the school, but an urgent intervention is still needed.

"But if you check the syllabus covered by children at Roodepoort Primary School, it stands at April and May but we are in August. A clear indication that our children are not ready to sit for the annual national assessment."