20 killed in fires across SA in under a week
In the latest incident, 3 people died when a blaze swept through Imizamo Yethu in Hout Bay last night.
CAPE TOWN - At least 20 people have died in fires across the country in less than a week.
In the latest incident, three people were killed when a blaze swept through Imizamo Yethu in Hout Bay last night.
The blaze in Imizamo Yethu left more than a dozen more homeless.
In the early hours of on Wednesday morning, seven members of the same family, including a baby, died in a shack fire in Port Elizabeth.
It was unclear what caused blaze which gutted a shack in Wells Estate.
On Tuesday evening, two more people perished as a blaze razed a number of informal dwellings in the Durban area.
KwaZulu-Natal Emergency Services said they arrived on the scene in the early hours of the morning to find four shelters in a blaze.
While firefighters managed to contain the fire, at least 12 shacks had been destroyed.
Emergency services' Robert McKenzie said the details surrounding the cause of the incident are being investigated.
"The deceased are believed to a mother and a son. The lady is about 53-years-old and the son about 23. The exact circumstances resulting in the fire are not known at this stage and will be investigated further."
On Monday night, two adults and a toddler burnt to death in a house fire in Klerksdorp, while five children died in a shack blaze in Orange Farm south of Johannesburg.
Earlier this week, a number of shacks were destroyed in a fire in Langa.