EFF vs Zuma battle headed to ConCourt
EFF says it's taking Zuma to the ConCourt to make him comply with the Public Protector’s remedial action.
CAPE TOWN - Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema says his party is taking President Jacob Zuma to the Constitutional Court to make him comply with the Public Protector's remedial action.
Malema has rejected Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko's report on the spending debacle and has slammed the Parliamentary committee considering his findings.
Nhleko's report found Zuma didn't owe anything for the security upgrades to his private home in Nkandla, contradicting the Public Protector's findings.
Nhleko's report contradicts the public protector's findings that Zuma benefited unduly from the non-security features which formed part of the R246 million project.
Ruling party Members of Parliament (MPs) pushed to adopt the police minister's report earlier this evening, despite the opposition recommending they reject it.
Malema says it's time for action.
"So we've spoken it's enough now. We need a clear action by the Constitutional Court."
Malema said he will be taking his party's "pay back the money" campaign to the Constitutional Court.
"He must comply; failure to comply the court will make him comply."
Malema, fresh from Polokwane, where his corruption case was struck off the roll, told the President the only legitimate report on the Nkandla spending debacle was drafted by the Public Protector.
He has rejected Nhleko's findings that Zuma doesn't owe anything for the upgrades.
President Zuma told MPs in the National Assembly on Thursday afternoon that asking him to repay the money which was spent on upgrading his home was premature.
"I'll respond further to the debate around this matter once all processes have been concluded."
He said a parliamentary ad-hoc committee was still dealing with the matter.
Earlier, MPs on the ad-hoc committee on Nkandla clashed over their findings and recommendations, with opposition members arguing for more time to finalise their input.
DA ON AL-BASHIR
Zuma has been accused of violating the separation of powers by allowing Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir t o leave the country during the African Union (AU) summit.
During the president's question and answer session, Democratic Alliance's (DA) leader Mmusi Maimane asked Zuma to explain why al-Bashir was allowed to leave after promising in Parliament in 2010 to respect international law.
"Mr President, you said South Africa respects international law and certainly are signatories and we would abide by the law."
Zuma responded saying the Sudanese president was in South Africa on AU business.
"Al-Bashir didn't come to South Africa by invitation of South Africa. He came here to do continental business; we have no right to violate the AU rules."
Meanwhile, tempers flared in the National Assembly before Zuma had to answer questions.
There was fierce debate over the order of questions to be put to the president.
EFF accused speaker Baleka Mbete of placing their question about Nkandla last on the paper so that it wouldn't be heard.
Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said, "We want our question to be prioritised because it's as important being the third largest party in this house; that is all we are saying."
The DA's John Steenhuisen disagreed.
"You can't come here and change things around. We will get to the EFF's question… there is no limitation on the president's time, so whether we sit here till 10 o'clock this evening, we will get to the EFF's question."