12 quotes you never thought you’d see coming out of Parliament
The good, the bad and the downright unexpected of Thursday's Q&A session with the president.
JOHANNESBURG - There was some really serious stuff going on in Parliament today ( you can read all about it here), but you might be forgiven for being diverted from the important facts by the sideshow of mudslinging and chest-beating in the National Assembly.
Here's a roundup of not-so-parliamentary quotes that you wouldn't necessarily expect to come up in President Jacob Zuma's Q&A session: "Hey! Don't switch off our mics! Tjer!"
"Hey! Don't switch off our mics! Tjer!"
- EFF's Mbuyiseni Ndlozi
"That white man is making comments about us. Let's go outside and moer each other!"
- EFF's Natasha Louw to FF+'s Pieter Groenewald (who's a 4th dan in karate BTW).
Ndlozi: "She is out of order that one … She must just shut up and sit down!"
Mbete: "YOU must sit down."
- EFF's Mbuyiseni Ndlozi gets hot under the collar when a member of the gallery interjects.
"What now, honourable Malema? What is it!?"
- Speaker Baleka Mbete to EFF leader Julius Malema as he rises on yet another point of order.
"Fight, fight, fight!"
- ANC MPs chant as EFF leader Julius Malema and DA leader Mmusi Maimane butt heads.
"I won't guess. I can't be a sangoma."
- President Jacob Zuma when asked about the Glencore license being revoked.
"Don't tell me about those video games of Nhleko. I don't recognise video games."
- EFF leader Julius Malema on Police Minister Nathi Nhleko's Nkandla report.
"Honourable member, you are screaming!"
- Speaker Baleka Mbete to a very insistent EFF MP.
"You know honourable speaker, Mistress Ginger must not say this."
- EFF's Mbuyiseni Ndlozi again, this time having a go at the ANC's Lindiwe Zulu.
"It doesn't matter how much we irritate you ... We are a necessary irritation!"
- EFF leader Julius Malema tipping his hat to speaker Baleka Mbete's patience wearing thin.
"You enjoy the beating of black people, I think."
- EFF's Mbuyiseni Ndlozi (who's featured a LOT on this list) to the DA's John Steenhuisen.
Mbete: "I'm just being generous."
Malema: "Today you've been so nice, you know."
- A final exchange between EFF leader Julius Malema and Speaker Baleka Mbete. We're not sure who was being more sincere.