Zuma poisoning saga: First lady considers legal action
Rumours that President Jacob Zuma had been poisoned first surfaced in the 'Sunday Times' in June.
JOHANNESBURG - Attorneys representing first lady Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma said they're now considering their legal options and have not ruled out taking action against the City Press newspaper after weekend reports claimed she admitted to knowing about a plot to poison the president.
The newspaper this weekend reported that plans were afoot to charge Ntuli-Zuma with conspiracy to commit murder.
Rumours that President Jacob Zuma had been poisoned first surfaced in the Sunday Times in June after he consulted American and Russian doctors.
In a strongly worded statement released yesterday, Ntuli-Zuma's lawyers emphatically denied that she was part of a plot to poison the president.
She also denied admitting to knowing about the conspiracy.
Her attorney Ulrich Roux said they have not yet decided which course of action to take.
"Our client is considering a legal option, so we're not confirming that we're going to take any action against the newspaper. We're in the process of advising her."
The presidency would not be drawn on the allegations in the report, while the newspaper has not yet been available to comment.
Ntuli-Zuma said in the letter that no attempt was made by the newspaper to verify if the allegations were indeed made against her.
She also said the newspaper did not afford her the opportunity to respond to the claims.