Manhunt launched for EC cop attackers

The warrant officer is recovering in hospital after he was shot in the back near Mthatha.

FILE: The warrant officer is recovering in hospital after he was wounded in the back near Mthatha while on patrol. Picture: Saps.

CAPE TOWN - Eastern Cape police have launched a manhunt for the men who attacked and shot a policeman.

The warrant officer is recovering in hospital after he was wounded in the back near Mthatha while on patrol on Wednesday.

The Police's Khaya Tonjeni said, "A case of attempted murder and robbery was opened and members are following all possible leads, and an arrest is very imminent."

Since last week, three police officers have been killed in separate attacks around the country.

Warrant officer Petrus Holz, 50, was stabbed to death in the early hours of Wednesday morning after stopping on the side of the highway to change two flat tyres.

In Gauteng, an officer was murdered in the line of duty in Vosloorus in eastern Johannesburg and one in Themba north of Pretoria.

Meanwhile, Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko on Thursday said he's deeply concerned with what he's termed the slaughter of the country's police officers.

Nhleko said society cannot stand by and watch the slaughter of those supposed to be protectors and has called on communities to help the authorities track down cop killers.

The police's Vishnu Naidoo said measures have been put in place to better protect their members.

"We improved on our tactical training, we implore on our members to use their bullet resistant vests. We also send out regular communications to our members so they take the necessary precautions as they're expected to."

A suspect arrested in connection with the cop killing in Themba is expected in court today.