WC authorities condemn N2 cop stabbing

The official was driving to work & had to stop to change two flat tyres when he came under attack.

FILE: Police and forensic experts at the scene where a police officer was stabbed to death in an attack on the N2 highway. Picture: Natalie Malgas/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape Community Safety Department has condemned the fatal attack on a police officer along the N2 highway.

The 50-year-old Hawks official, attached to the Commercial Crimes Unit, was stabbed to death this morning.

He was driving to work and had to stop to change two flat tyres when he came under attack.

Western Cape Deputy Police Commissioner Jeremy Vearey said there was an obstruction on the road that caused the punctures.

The department's Ewald Botha said, "The Western Cape Minister of Community Safety Dan Plato extends his deepest condolences to the family, friend and colleagues of this slain officer. He's calling on the people living in the communities next to the highway to speak up against criminal to assist the police in the investigation and to make sure that those responsible are identified and arrested."

LISTEN: Western Cape Traffic Chief Kenny Africa talks about the N2 stabbing incident.

Meanwhile, the Hawks have been roped in to investigate the police officer's murder.

A search has also been launched for the two men who killed him just after the Baden Powell Drive offramp.

The unmarked police vehicle has been towed away as investigators continue to comb the scene for more evidence.

While the exact motives are unclear, it's believed it was a robbery.


Gauteng police have confirmed that a constable has been killed during a shootout with a gang of armed robbers in Vosloorus.

The shooting happened earlier today at the Chris Hani Crossing Shopping Centre as stores were preparing to open for business.

The police's Mack Mngomezulu says two officers on patrol noticed the gunmen holding up a shop before they came under fire.

"The police officers jumped out of the vehicle and fired back, not aware that the suspects were travelling in two cars. While they were concentrating on the car that was in the front, another one came from the back and shot one of the officers who died on the scene."

No one has been arrested.