Transnet not concerned after another exec joins Eskom
Transnet’s Chief Financial Officer Anoj Singh will be seconded to Eskom for six months.
JOHANNESBURG - Transnet said it's not concerned about two of its executives being seconded to Eskom as the company is stable and it has enough talent and skills to keep the company afloat.
Eskom said the executives are to help with the turnaround strategy and deal with its financial challenges.
On Thursday, Eskom announced that Transnet's Chief Financial Officer Anoj Singh would be seconded to the utility for six months to drive its R250 billion funding plan.
At the same time, acting CEO Brian Molele, who is also from Transnet, had his employment contract extended.
Molefe and Singh both come highly recommended and Eskom will be holding onto them for the next few months while it tries to stabalise the utility.
Transnet's Mboniso Sigonyela meanwhile said they're not concerned about losing these two executives for the next few months, as they have a number of other talented people
"We're quite comfortable that there is enough depth in our talent pool to continue without interrupting our services and the performance of the company."
Transnet has already appointed a suitable candidate to fill in for Singh as chief financial officer from the first of next month.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said there was no need to suspend four top executives at Eskom earlier this year.
The utility suspended then CEO Tshediso Matona along with three others in March following the launch of an independent inquiry into the utility.
This week, Eskom released a statement saying all four executives, three of whom have now left, have been cleared of any wrongdoing.
The NUM's Paris Mashego said there are still questions about what went wrong, and why these executives were suspended in the first place.
"There was no need to suspend these capable leaders, who were employed to run the organisation. Unfortunately at the time we had a chairman who was not interested in making progress at Eskom."
The four were Matona, head of capital projects Dan Marokane, technology and commercial executive Matshela Koko and finance director Tsholofelo Molefe.
Matona took his suspension to the Labour Court but was unsuccessful in being reinstated. Instead he parted ways with the utility a few weeks later.
Following the suspensions, Molefe, who had been heading Transnet, was appointed acting head, while Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a war room committee to deal with Eskom's problems.