Eskom’s ‘independent’ inquiry questioned

Energy analyst Ted Blom says the investigation hasn’t produced any results.

FILE: Picture: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Questions are being raised about the purpose of Eskom's independent inquiry which "cleared" four executives who were suspended earlier this year.

The utility suspended CEO Tshediso Matona and three others to allow the inquiry to proceed without influence.

The findings, released on Wednesday, cleared all four executives of any wrongdoing.

In the meantime, Transnet CFO Anoj Singh has been seconded to Eskom, while acting CEO Brian Molefe's contract has been extended.

The National Union of Mineworkers says the inquiry proves that Eskom's executives should never have been suspended.

Energy analyst Ted Blom says the investigation hasn't produced any results.

"I think this whole independent inquiry is a scam and all those challenges still exist."

Matona however welcomed the findings, saying they've exonerated him.

Eskom meanwhile announced that Singh will be driving its R250 billion funding plan.

The suspended four were Matona, head of capital projects Dan Marokane, technology and commercial executive Matshela Koko and finance director Tsholofelo Molefe.

Matona took his suspension to the Labour Court but was unsuccessful in being reinstated and parted ways with the utility a few weeks later.

Following the suspensions, Molefe, who had been heading Transnet, was appointed acting head.

Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa then announced a war room committee to deal with Eskom's problems.

Molefe's contract has now been extended by three months.

Eskom chairperson Ben Ngubane has now confirmed that the board received a presentation following the investigation which clears the remaining three executives.

They will return to work with immediate effect.