50 dead in attacks in Egypt's North Sinai
Islamic State’s Egypt affiliate has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
CAIRO - About 50 people were killed, including at least 11 Egyptian soldiers, when suspected militants attacked several military posts in Egypt's North Sinai province on Wednesday, security and medical sources said.
Doctor Osama el-Sayed at El-Arish General Hospital said the hospital had received 30 bodies, "some of whom were wearing army fatigues."
Islamic State's Egypt affiliate, Sinai Province, claimed responsibility for attacks against security forces in North Sinai, according to a statement on Twitter
The group said it had attacked more than 15 security sites, and had carried out three suicide attacks.
The attacks targeted several military posts and a police station, security sources and witnesses said.
Witnesses reported hearing explosions in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, and many residents left their homes fearful of grenades.
A Sinai-based insurgency has killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers since the Egyptian army toppled Islamist president Mohamed Mursi after mass protests against his rule in 2013.
The most active militant group in the region is Sinai Province, which has pledged allegiance to Islamic State.
Earlier this week, Egypt's top public prosecutor was assassinated in a car bomb attack on his convoy in Cairo, raising questions about the country's ability to contain the insurgency.