White House condemns deadly attacks on Kuwait, Tunisia & France

The death toll from the Tunisia hotel shooting attack has risen to 37.

A Tunisian security member stands next to a swimming pool at the resort town of Sousse, a popular tourist destination 140 kilometres south of the Tunisian capital, on 26 June, 2015, following a shooting attack. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - The White House says US security officials are offering assistance to countries affected by today's deadly terror attacks.

37 people were gunned down at a popular hotel in Tunisia this afternoon, while 25 worshippers were killed by a suicide bomber at a mosque in Kuwait and one person was killed and two were wounded in an attack on a gas factory in France.

At the same time, 145 died in an attack in Syria today.

The White House has described the attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia and France as 'heinous acts of terror'.

Staff members at the Tunisia hotel say the gunmen were dressed as tourists and used Kalashnikov rifles to kill the guests.

There were three attackers, one of whom was killed; one was arrested and the other escaped.

Tunisians, Britons, Germans and Belgians and at least one Irish citizen are among the dead.

One man said he heard gun shots next thing he knew he was shot.

"I looked at my wife and she got up and ran. And as I turned the bullet just hit me in my arm and I just ran to the sea. My wife ran into the hotel and I saw the gunmen firing shots randomly at people lying on the sunbeds on the beach."

There's now a security lock down in Sousse following the deadly attack on the beach side hotel in the popular resort, an interior ministry spokesman said.

Police were still clearing the area around the Imperial Marhaba Hotel and the body of one gunman lay at the scene with a Kalashnikov assault rifle after he was shot in an exchange of gunfire, a security source at the scene said.

No one immediately claimed the attack, but Islamist jihadists have attacked North African tourist sites before, seeing them as legitimate targets because of their open Western lifestyles and tolerance of alcohol.

The shooting came just a short while after 25 worshippers were killed in a suicide bombing during Friday prayers in a Kuwait mosque.

More than 200 others were wounded.

Kuwaiti parliament member Khalil al-Salih said worshippers were kneeling in prayer when a suicide bomber walked into the Imam al-Sadeq Mosque side and blew himself up, destroying walls and the ceiling.

"It was obvious from the suicide bomber's body that he was young. He walked into the prayer hall during sujood (kneeling in prayer), he looked ...in his 20s, I saw him with my own eyes," he told Reuters by telephone.

"The explosion was really hard. The ceiling and wall got destroyed," he said, adding that more than 2,000 people from the Shi'ite Ja'afari sect were praying at the mosque.

The Interior Ministry told citizens to stay away from the scene to allow authorities to investigate.

In a statement released this afternoon, the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.

In Syria the Observatory for Human Rights claims 145 civilians were killed in a raid by the Islamic State in Kobani.

The attack on the predominantly Kurdish town of Kobani and the nearby village of Brakh Bootan marked the biggest single massacre of civilians by Islamic State in Syria since it killed hundreds of members of the Sunni Sheitaat tribe last year, Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the Observatory, said.

The assault included at least three suicide car bombs. The dead included the elderly, women and children, he said.

The Islamic State fighters were reported to number in the dozens and entered the town in five cars disguised as members of the YPG and Syrian rebel groups.

In their other assault on Friday, Islamic State fighters clashed with Syrian government forces in the south of Hasaka for a second day and shells hit areas in the center, the Observatory said.

In France, a man was decapitated when two men rammed a delivery vehicle into a gas factory in Grenoble, wounding several others.

Government has stepped up security across France after a suspected Islamist terrorist attack near the town of Lyon.

It's now being reported that the person found beheaded was in fact the manager of the man suspected of ramming a vehicle into canisters causing an explosion.

Witnesses reported hearing a number of explosions inside the premises.

At least four man has been arrested and is being held by police.

French President Francois Hollande cut short a visit to a European Union summit in Belgium to return home.

A decapitated body covered in Arabic writing was found at a US gas company after the deadly explosion.

The White House has described the attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia and France as "heinous acts of terror".

"The United States condemns in the strongest terms the terrorist attacks in France, Kuwait, and Tunisia today," it said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of these heinous attacks, their loved ones, and the people of all three countries."