Mpumalanga Health Department to investigate Kwa-Mahlangu Hospital
Reports say some patients have not had their bandages changed and that they can't wash themselves.
JOHANNESBURG - The Mpumalanga Health Department on Monday said it was going to investigate the situation at a Kwa-Mahlangu Hospital amid claims there is no food or water for patients.
The Sowetan newspaper says that some patients have not had their bandages changed and that they can't wash themselves.
The department says there is a problem with water in the area and that water tankers are supposed to be supplying the facility.
Spokesperson Dumisani Malamula says while they believe the claims are exaggerated they will investigate.
"When we pick up these things we go on site to see for ourselves."
EASTERN CAPE HOSPITALS FACE MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE CLAIMS
Meanwhile in the Eastern Cape, hospitals are facing medical negligence claims amounting to more than 700 million Rand.
The provincial health department says this is only for claims received during the first three months of the current financial year.
Last year claims against the department amounted to R3.8 billion.
The Eastern Cape Health Department says it's in the process of the addressing massive claims lodged by patients at nine provincial hospitals.
Dora Nginza Hospital in Port Elizabeth is being sued for more than R173 million.
The Mthatha General Hospital is facing more than R100 million in medical negligence claims.
The department's Sizwe Kupelo says the department plans on challenging every single lawsuit.
"We believe many are not legitimate and we've taken a decision to defend every lawsuit."